7.5.10

Paws in the air for people food

I have a confession to make. I was a horrible fur mom and i did n't even know it. As you all know by now, i have three pets two cats and a dog. One of my cats only eats people food and although i have tried anything she can't eat anything else(once i only gave her cat food, and she starved herself for four days, i caved of course). And although my other two eat their kind of food, i frequently give them little treats that they enjoy very much.
Whenever i cooked for them i wanted their food to be tasty so i used spices as well as onions and garlic. I did that for years. And now i found out that garlic and onions are toxic for both cats and dogs and that i unintentionally poisoned my fur babies.
My neutered male cat only eats his food now(because anything else could lead to urinary issues), but the other too still eat people food. I felt i had to post that, although it has nothing to do with paganism, because i know many of you, my wonderful witch friends, have pets. Our familiars give us love, help us heal, open up and even protect us. So this post is dedicated to them.
Brightest blessings, love and light.

7 comments:

SeeThroughGreen said...

It's OK! Inhale, Exhale. Theyre not going to die!
As long as you dont give them like... a whole bag of onions... or a whole clove of garlic, you are fine. Now that you know, I would stop using it, but if they happen to lick the plates of a meal with garlic or onions in it, it wont hurt them. You didnt do anything wrong or anything that I havent done lol!
OH! also stay away from grapes and rasins as those are very bad for them. And also dark or milk chocolate (but everyone knows that)... Did you know that if you wanted to give them a chocolaty treat you can give them white chocolate? It has absolutly no cocoa in it and is in no way harmful to your pets (except the high sugar content so dont overdo it lol!) Fo Orie's (my greyhound) birthday I bought white chocolate popsicles and gave him a few... he loved them!
If you have any questions or anything about animal feeding needs and all that, just ask lol... Its my job... for real! so no worries!

SeeThroughGreen said...

It's OK! Inhale, Exhale. Theyre not going to die!
As long as you dont give them like... a whole bag of onions... or a whole clove of garlic, you are fine. Now that you know, I would stop using it, but if they happen to lick the plates of a meal with garlic or onions in it, it wont hurt them. You didnt do anything wrong or anything that I havent done lol!
OH! also stay away from grapes and rasins as those are very bad for them. And also dark or milk chocolate (but everyone knows that)... Did you know that if you wanted to give them a chocolaty treat you can give them white chocolate? It has absolutly no cocoa in it and is in no way harmful to your pets (except the high sugar content so dont overdo it lol!) Fo Orie's (my greyhound) birthday I bought white chocolate popsicles and gave him a few... he loved them!
If you have any questions or anything about animal feeding needs and all that, just ask lol... Its my job... for real! so no worries!

mxtodis123 said...

Ah, you meant well so don't blame yourself, and thanks for posting. My aunt had two little doggies that she fed nothing but people food. Both ended up being diabetics and had to get a shot every day. Chocolate is another pet no-no. I hope your fur babies will be all right.
Mary

Crystalrainbow said...

thank u 4 your comment about bombay cats i look up some info online and im syre your right :) he is adorable and secretly hope noboby claims him, i have fallen big time for him and he sure loves to cuddle up while im blogging :) blessings x x

Tracy ~ The UnOfficial Witch of Ridgewood said...

I am absolutely sure you are a wonderful Mom to your Fur children! Look how well you're taking care of ours!

Yes, onions, garlic, chocolate are all toxic, but it also depends on the body weight of the pet. Of course, you wouldn't intentionally give them these things, but if a small amount was fed accidently, I'm sure they would be fine.

Our dog once ate an entire candy dish of chocolate kisses! I was in a panic! The vet felt it was fine (not obviously the best choice of a snacks) and warned us the the she might have an upset stomach. She had no after effects whatsoever and we learned a good lesson. Dogs live for chocolate too!

Magaly Guerrero said...

My view is that you are a Witch and everything you do has to with Paganism. What's more Pagan than making sure that everything alive, especially the ones you hold dear, stay healthy and alive?

I'm glad you figured out those things were harmful for the furry ones, but to be honest I feed all my dogs and cats human food and they have all lived healthy life. The greediest one, Joboy, ate everything I ate, ran a few miles a day with me and lived 16 long years.

CricketSong said...

Merry Meet! It's nice to read about someone else who feeds their cat "people food". I feed my cat, Alchemy, an all natural diet and have since the day we adopted him. The cat I had prior to Alchemy also was on the same diet. I found it in a book ... The Natural Cat. It takes time to prepare but the benefits are amazing! You should check it out. Bright Blessings!