4.5.13

Celebrating Christian holidays while being pagan

Hello blogpeople. How have you been? Here the summer has begun a tad early and it is a bit hot, but i love it! I can't go swimming because i am supposed to be resting, but it is still wonderful. Tomorrow is the greek Easter and we will go to my parents. The festivities of it all include over eating and over drinking. Although, we have n't gone to church with our parents(not that they are regulars) for  over a decade and we have nothing to do with the Christian worship, every year we celebrate with our families Easter and Christmas. The traditional gift giving takes place, chocolate eggs are given to the children and traditional music that no one can stand plays through the speakers(during Easter, on Christmas is all about the usual Rudolf stuff!).
It always makes me a little sad the fact that our families can not be part of our festivities, but to them it would just be too weird. Us on the other side grew up celebrating those holidays, expecting for Santa to bring us gifts on Christmas and everybody we knew to bring us chocolate on Easter.
So, celebrating means quality time with our families, and since our families are n't religious, at all, they see these opportunities the same way we do. All in all we rest, we laugh and enjoy each other. But it is still a shame that we can not take time off work, or school for the holidays of our choice. Sometimes we get lucky, like this May Day that we both did n't have work
How do you feel during those occasions?
Have a magical weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I have to go along with it for my parents. I made Tsoureki. It was a disaster. One of the eggs cracked in the boiling water and I ended up having to scrape egg shit off my pot. I am giving them their Easter/Mother's Day/ Father's day and May/June birthday package today. It will be good to get all that crap off my dining room table. I'm in a down mood and do not feel like dealing with my parents! Also, the 5th of May is a big Mexican holiday (cinco de Mayo) and being that this is Texas, everyone celebrates it. Even if you aren't Mexican, it's a big deal. It's just horrible having Greek Easter on cinco de Mayo. Horrible.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I haven't been a believing or practising Christian for 35 years but culturally, Christianity is my heritage so I can still enjoy the holidays.

angela said...

I tend to just treat it as a family day. It is weird for me celebrating Easter with all it's fertility symbolism and it's autumn here lol

Farmer Jen said...

I celebrate most Christian holidays like Easter and Christmas, as well Mother Nature's pagan holidays the Solstices, Equinoxes and each lovely Full Moon. We are not very religious, but I was raised Greek Orthodox, as my Mom was Greek. She passed away 16 years ago this month, and I miss her dearly. I would love to spend time with her again. I have no other family members that are emotionally close, so I have made my own family of choice. We celebrate everything! With food, wine, friendship and love. Christos Anesti! Happy Ostara! Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I enjoy a party regardless of the reason behind it, so I don't mind it. I go to my nieces' church recitals, give them presents on the days their parents celebrate, and try not to feel too smug during Halloween when they go crazy over the holiday (even when their parents spend more time than it is advisable telling them how evil Halloween is. So... party!

Hindustanka said...

Hmm.. I do celebrate all Christian holidays, and even celebrate them in India, like Easter this year on the 5th of May.
I try to celebrate many of the holidays, Pagan and Christian and Hindu - all blend and fun!

romany soul said...

What a wonderful blog you have, I'm new to blogging so delighted to have found you.x

Blue Grumpster said...

Great title. I always do the exact same thing.... having fun with the relatives and celebration Christian holidays as a pagan. It's our God-given right. ;)

cynthiagrlx@.com said...

Beautiful blog I write on many different topics if you wish check my blog out @ http://cynthiasfairiesandme.blogspot.ca/

I love and light
Cyn